When to start Orthodontic treatment
Orthodontic problems are usually noticeable by the age of seven, when most of the adult front teeth have erupted. Early examination allows our Orthodontists to detect and evaluate problems as well as plan and time treatment appropriately. Treatment at an early age may prevent more serious problems from developing and/or make treatment at a later age shorter and less complicated. The Australian Society of Orthodontists recommends children between the ages of 7-9 years (more info)
Early warning signs indicating it is time for an orthodontic exam:
- Early, late or irregular loss of baby teeth
- Difficult in chewing or biting
- Protruding teeth
- Mouth breathing, Finger sucking or other oral habits
- Crowded, crooked, misplaced or blocked-out teeth
- Jaws that shift, make sounds, protrude (underbite) or retrude (overbite)
- Speech difficulty and difficulty in chewing and biting
- Teeth that meet in an abnormal way or don’t meet at all
- Facial imbalance or asymmetry
- Grinding or clenching of teeth.
- Jaws and teeth that are out of proportion to the rest of the face
If you think you or your child would benefit from orthodontic treatment, only a Specialist Orthodontist has the training, experience and expert knowledge to determine the most appropriate treatment options and the best time to start treatment. When you see our Specialists Orthodontists, you can be confident that you and your child are in the best hands.
Contact our Specialist Team today on 02 9826 7888 to discuss your treatment needs.